Apply for big game permit starting Friday

(BRENT STETTLER/Utah Division of Wildlife Resources)
Applications to hunt deer and other big game animals in Utah will be...
Story by Standard-Examiner staff
January 30, 2013
Share this

Even though this fall’s hunts are still months away, the time to apply for a permit is almost here.

Applications to hunt big game animals in Utah will be accepted starting Friday.

Everything you need to know to apply for a permit is available in the 2013 Utah Big Game Application Guidebook.

You can get the free guidebook at, at Division of Wildlife Resources offices and from more than 300 hunting and fishing license agents across Utah.

Applications must be received through no later than 11 p.m. on March 4 to be entered in the draw for permits.

If you have questions or need help completing your application, call any DWR office before 5 p.m. on March 4.

Results of the 2013 Utah big game draw will be available by May 31.

Starting Feb. 1, applications will be accepted for every hunt except the general-season bull elk hunt. General-season elk permits will be available on a first-come, first-served basis, starting June 27.

Those who want to hunt all three general deer seasons (archery, muzzleloader and rifle) can join the Dedicated Hunter program. Those who join the program commit to reporting on conditions in the areas they visit and any potentially illegal activities, and in return receive special hunting privileges.

To give yourself a chance to join the Dedicated Hunter program, you must complete an online orientation course that will teach you more about the program, and apply for and draw a 2013 general deer hunting permit.

If you’re not going to hunt in 2013, you can still apply for a bonus point or a preference point. These points increase the chance that you’ll draw a permit the next time you apply.

You can start applying for a point on Feb. 1. Your application for a point must be received through no later than 11 p.m. on March 18. Remember that you must have a hunting license or a combination license to apply for a point or a hunting permit.

A general-season deer hunting change that started in Utah in 2012 will continue in 2013. Instead of hunting deer on five large regions, hunters in 2013 will hunt on 30 smaller units.

If you have questions about applying for a general-season deer permit, a DWR website has the answers. The page is available at

If you have a lifetime hunting license in Utah, you can select the general deer unit you would like to hunt by completing the online lifetime license questionnaire and selecting the unit you want to hunt.

Access to the questionnaire will be available in the 2013 big game application. Visit between Feb. 1 and March 4 to access the application, complete the questionnaire and select your unit.

If you have a lifetime license and don’t complete the application by March 4, you’ll receive a deer permit for the same unit you hunted last year.

If you have questions about applying for a 2013 Utah big game hunting permit, call the Utah Hunt Application office at 800-221-0659 or call the nearest Division of Wildlife Resources office.


blog comments powered by Disqus


The Ogden Nature Center is located at 966 W. 12th St. in Ogden. For more information, visit or call 801-621-7595.