Utah is one of 19 states that are holding a “Wanna’ Go Fishing for Millions?” contest this year.
The contest, sponsored by Cabela’s, allows anglers to redeemed specially tagged fish for prizes ranging from $50 gift cards to as much as $2 million. To learn more about the prizes, visit www.cabelasfishformillions.com/prizes.
The following are the Utah lakes and reservoirs that have fish with tags, the species of fish that have been tagged and the number of tagged fish:
• Bear Lake: 17 cutthroat trout
• East Canyon Reservoir: Eight rainbow trout
• Mantua Reservoir: Eight largemouth bass
• Willard Bay: 12 walleye and wiper
• Grantsville Reservoir: Eight rainbow trout
• Gunnison Bend Reservoir: Eight channel catfish and white bass
• Utah Lake: 16 white bass and channel catfish
• Starvation Reservoir: 11 walleye and rainbow trout
• Joe’s Valley Reservoir: Nine, various trout species
• Lake Powell: 23 striped bass and smallmouth bass
• Paragonah Lake: Eight rainbow trout
• Sand Hollow Reservoir: Nine bluegill and largemouth bass
The contest runs until July 8. The fish in Utah that have tags on them were tagged by biologists with the Division of Wildlife Resources. To qualify to win, you must pre-register online.
In one of the 19 states, a fish has been tagged with a tag worth $1 million. The grand prize will be doubled to $2 million if the person who catches the fish had Cabela’s Fish Recon app on his or her smartphone before they caught the fish. The state in which the $1 million fish was tagged remains undisclosed.
Other prizes include two Ranger 520Z Bass Series Comanche boats and trailers with Evinrude outboard motors, valued at $65,000 each, as well as more than $20,000 in gear from Costa sunglasses, Abu Garcia and Rapala.
All rules and requirements, as well as contest details and registration information, are available at www.cabelas.com/fishformillions.
The Cabela’s contest isn’t the only one going on in the state right now. The Hyrum State Park Fishing Classic tagged fish contest started last Saturday with more than 300 tagged trout and prizes sponsored by various Cache Valley businesses. For more information, visit http://stateparks.utah.gov or call the park at 435-245-6866.
Catch a tagged trout at Hyrum Reservoir and win prizes including fishing trips, gift cards, overnight stays and other prizes. Tagged fish should be taken to the Hyrum State Park for prize redemption.
The Rafter B tagged fish challenge wraps up at Rockport on Thursday. Nine of 46 tagged trout have been caught so far, including one the weekend before last that earned the winning angler a $500 snowboard.